Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Seeds!!!

As promised, week one of my four week venture to plant my garden has come to a fruitful (or should I say vegetable) end. With four varieties chosen and paid for I have finalized my seed selection. 

Drum roll please....


1) My tomato variety is the Ukrainian Purple

This tomato (according to it's package) is also known as a Purple Russian. It originally came from Irma Henkel in the Ukraine. If all goes as planed I should have plum shaped fruits that are 3-4" long and weigh 6 ounces within 80 days. I'm very excited about this choice and I think it will work out well. Especially with how well my tomatoes grew last year.


2) My bean variety is the Fin De Bagnol 

This is an old gourmet variety of French string bean. Within 50-60 days of planting I should have pods that are round and slender. As you may recall, I tried some bush beans last year to great success. I'm very excited to try this new variety and am hopeful for a generous yield

 3) My okra (thanks again to all of you who voted) variety is Hill Country Red.

This is a South Texas heirloom. Within 60-70 days I should have some beautiful 6' tall plants with wide green and red tinged pods. According to the package, this is a good pickling variety and I intend to do just that. 


4) Finally, for a squash type plant I chose cucumber. Specifically, Early Fortune.


This cucumber was introduced around 1910 by Jerome B. Rice Seed Company of Cambridge, New York. It originated with George Starr of Royal Oak, Michigan who discovers it in a crop of, now extinct, David Perfect. Within 55-60 days I should expect 8" long fruits. I'm looking forward to trying some vertical gardening experimentation with these plants. More to come on that in the weeks that follow.




So, that's the line up. I've even started growing the tomatoes and cucumbers. But more on that soon. Can't give you all the juicy gossip at once now can I?

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's Growing On?