Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Caution! Addictive Recipe Ahead.

I can't get enough of heirloom tomatoes. They look, taste, smell, and taste (I feel a need to repeat this) great. Next time you make it to your local natural food store, or farmers market definitely pick up a pint (or three) of these wonderfully flavorful and richly colored tomatoes. 
Heirloom tomatoes are grown from seeds that have been passed down generation after generation. Because of this, they are considered to be a vestige of the antique tomato. They are more "true to form" than their cousins the hybrid tomatoes. Also, unlike hybrid tomatoes (which are what you mostly see at the supermarket) heirloom tomatoes are open-pollinated. This helps to create the prized multifarious nature of the heirloom tomato. 
While waiting for my tomatoes to grow I have greatly enjoyed the many heirloom varieties available to me. I've used larger ones on sandwiches and burgers while using the smaller cherry tomatoes in salads. Salads, like this one!

Heirloom Tomato and Chickpea Salad

2 pints of Heirloom Tomatoes
2 15oz cans of Chickpeas drained and washed
2 C. Kalamata Olives
1 tbsp. Fresh Oregano finely chopped
1 tbsp. Fresh Basil finely chopped
Salt and Pepper to taste 
1 tbsp. Olive Oil


Cut tomatoes in half and combine in large bowl with Chickpeas, Olives, Oregano, Basil, Salt, Pepper, and Olive Oil. 


Yes, it is just that easy. 


I've been enjoying making many variations on this salad. By changing up the type of beans or olives the combinations are endless. I've even tried capers instead of olives. 

So, have fun, try something new, and enjoy good veggies. 

1 comment:

  1. I'm going to try a variation tonight with kidney and pinto beans--I'll tell you how it works out!

    ReplyDelete

What's Growing On?