Saturday, June 12, 2010

Update!!

Right now the garden has been pretty easy going. While I seem to be having trouble in some areas there are others that are coming along very nicely. But, enough from me, take a look for yourself.


Beans are looking great!
































Squash plants are thriving and even starting to produce buds.


The tomatoes are coming along. I've caged my tomatoes, as they are indeterminate and will need support. Indeterminate tomatoes, as opposed to determinate, will produce fruit till the first frost. It's important to stake or cage them in order to provide support throughout the year. It's not as important to stake or cage determinate tomatoes as they only produce fruit once in the year.



















I'm afraid my lettuce didn't quite make it. Between rabbits, heat, and bugs this is all I have left.














Soon I'll harvest this little bit of lettuce I do have and replace it with pumpkins. Hopefully I'll have some pumpkins just in time for Halloween. So, there's a bright side to a crop failing.

Speaking of a crop failing. My carrots are struggling a bit. Though they haven't failed completely, they are struggling along.



















I planted some sorrel that I recently got from a cooking class. So, now I've got a carrot and sorrel plot.

I'm happy with my garden. Sure, I could get down about the lettuce and the potential failure of the carrot crop. But, I'm having fun, out in the world digging in and feeling the earth in my hands connects me to the earth and to the plants that I'm cultivating. That alone is what makes me garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's Growing On?