Wednesday, April 27, 2011

April Showers...

These cold days and cooler nights have kept me in pause as I wait for the warm summer (or at least temperate spring) to finally arrive. Planting crops like tomatoes and okra before the weather is right can kill them off fast. So, I've been waiting for the winter to finally, truly, break.
  
In the meantime, however, I have planted my flower garden.


 I won't go into great detail about how I prepared and planted the garden. If you're curious about how to do that check out my post from last year "Finally I Get to Plant Some Flowers"  I will bless you with one fun anecdote, however. 

After I began digging around the bed I realized that some plants which I thought were Hostas were not. It turned out that I have been, unknowingly, growing onions!
 Well, at least I've been able to get some veggies going, right? 


This year I'm trying something kind of neat. All of the seeds I planted are from flowers of other people's gardens. The Zinnias are from my parents garden and were collected while visiting them last year. 
In front of them I planted Orange Cosmos.
These were given to me by a co-worker who heads up a local school garden project. They will also be planted at all of the school gardens as well as many other home gardens. All around town these flowers will bloom. Another one of my co-workers sent me a picture of her cosmos first starting to pop up.  


Then of course there are my Hostas. Those surprising bloomers of last year. They're growing up stronger than ever and are making a great front row. 

As my flowers start to pop up I'll be sure to post photos and share their progress. Until then, we'll all just have to wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's Growing On?